The SDD program integrates decision support, smart filtering, munitions effects, and full-dimensional display technologies to enable faster and smarter netted fires command and control decisions that optimize usage of weapon assets against targets. The SDD program supports netted fires effects simulations for the Armament Research Development and Engineering Center (ARDEC) at Picatinny Arsenal. The netted fires system integrates with the Combat Decision Aid Suite (CDAS) and the Joint Weaponeering Service (JWS) to access several levels of information to create the simulations, including:
- Current battlefield Situational Awareness (SA) information
- Joint Munitions Effectiveness Manual (JMEM) data and models
- Logistical information (e.g., platform and weapons)
SDD provides the mechanism for the warfighter to realize the concept of Netted Fires in a scalable, Net-Centric, Services-Oriented Architecture, which combines the power of leveraged Government-Off-The-Shelf (GOTS) technologies with the cost savings of Commercial-Off-The-Shelf (COTS) technologies. By combining the powers of the Geographic Information Systems (ESRI ArcGIS), Army standard databases, and the leading edge netted fires algorithms, the warfighter will be able to exponentially increase his combat multiplier with regards to indirect fires.
Key features of the SDD Netted Fires Application are:
- Netted Fires Client – ArcGlobe extension provides user with the capability to select units and targets for netted fires consideration and display optimal netted fires results in tabular and graphical formats.
- Netted Fires Service – Web Service that determines optimal netted fires solutions based on user defined units and targets, and JMEM-based effectiveness data using complex algorithms.
- Munitions Effect Service – Web Service that determines effectiveness of weapons against specified targets using JMEM data from the JWS. SDD implements the netted fires concept as an end user focused solution, enabling any user on the battlefield to bring the full might and power of the military seamlessly onto any target or threat.